Sunday, January 8, 2012

Egg and Wheat/Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

  OMG. These were so easy and good! Probably not something I should have fed to my family as a main dish, but when have I ever cared about what I probably should be doing?? ;)
  I bought a package of ground chicken from Sprout's just because I wanted to try something new, but then I couldn't think of anything to do with it. Enter Rachel Ray, in her infinite bubbliness and 30-minute-meal glory. I didn't even really tweak the meatball part of this, and making my own Buffalo Sauce was just something I did because I'm a control freak and not necessary*

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

1.5 lbs ground chicken
1/2 smll onion, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 tsp dried parsely (I don't think this part was necessary)
Extra virgin olive oil, for greasing your hands and drizzling
S&P

Vegan Buffalo Sauce

3 Tbs oil (1Tbs olive oil, the other 2 vegetable or other oil)
1/4 cup FRANK'S original hot sauce
1 tsp tomato paste
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2-1 tsp cayenne, depending on your preference for hotness

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken with onion, garlic, and parsely and season season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. I used about 1.5 tsp of salt. Using an ice cream scoop or olive oiled hands, divide meat mixture into 16 balls and arrange them on  nonstick sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix all wet buffalo sauce ingredients and stir until fully mixed. Whisk in spices, holding back on the cayenne if you are worried about it being too hot.

Once meatballs are fully cooked, roll them in the buffalo sauce and let them sit about 3 minutes to soak up all the yummy flavor. Serve with Organicville Non Dairy Ranch Dressing, carrot sticks, and celery.

We also had salad and these totally cool, kid friendly things called Peas of Mind cauliflower and carrot fries with this. They are regular potato and cauliflower or carrot mixed together, then extruded in fry shape. They taste like regular fries, are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside like fries should be, with a healthy dose of veggies! What an awesome product! Plus, hello, the package is super cute! My only suggestion is salt them BEFORE you bake them if salt is your thing, as it won't stick to the fries once they are done. Yum!

*FRANK'S makes a buffalo sauce that is already vegan so you could use that. I didn't because it contains a "Natural butter type flavor", which just makes me think of this time I watched Dirty Jobs and Mike Rowe had to help clip a bearcat's claws and he said it smelled exactly like popcorn... also I read an article recently about how the Great North American Beaver marks its territory with urine and some sort of secretion from it's anal glands that smells sweet, and the anal glands are harvested and sold to food additive companies because, when it's added to vanilla ice cream, it makes it smell better. And that's listed as "NATURAL FLAVOR".... Yuck. So I like to avoid any product that doesn't tell me exactly what I am about to ingest.

No comments:

Post a Comment