Thursday, January 19, 2012

Vegan and Wheat Free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

  Wow, let me start this off by saying that these are the first cookies I have had since changing to this diet that are actually really good. Usually, wheat free anything means that there will be a bit of grittiness, but since these are oatmeal cookies I think that any grittiness is masked. These were really easy to make and they actually even stayed together without having to be a quarter of the size of a 'regular' cookie like others that I have made. Also I used a jar of baby food pears for the pear puree but half a banana that is well mashed, or any other fruit puree, pumpkin, or even squash could sub in and probably not have much of a recognizable flavor change. Here goes:

The boys enjoying their cookies at the zoo!


Vegan/Wheat Free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup quick cooking oats (make sure you use certified wheat free, like Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup rice flour (I used brown but white would work too I'm sure)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons pureed pear
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate or vegan chips

Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a small bowl or ziploc bag, mix oats, rice flour, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl, stir oil and both sugars together. Mix in pear, peanut butter and vanilla. Add rice flour/oat mixture and stir until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Using about 2 tablespoons of dough, form dough into balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 11-12 minutes (longer for crunchier edges). Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely.

Makes about 8 cookies.

I didn't flatten mine very much because I had a previous experience with vegan oatmeal cookies that turned into oat-puddles, so I was hesitant and ended up with pretty fat cookies. They are still super delicious but next time I will flatten them a tad more.


No comments:

Post a Comment