Sunday, February 3, 2013

Creamy Spinach Dip - Dairy, Wheat/Gluten, Soy Free

 Spinach dip has always been my favorite party treat, especially on crusty french bread. I haven't even considered trying to make some dairy free until my husband asked me before heading out the grocery store this morning if I wanted any particular snacks for the Super Bowl today. I decided to give it shot and this came out pretty darned good!

Creamy Spinach Dip 

1 cup raw cashews, soaked 1 hour and drained
1 Tbl water
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt (plus more, if desired)
1 1/2-2 cups baby spinach
3 green onions, chopped
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 Tsp plain unsweetened coconut coffee creamer or other non dairy milk of your choice
1 Tsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
1/4 cup water chopped water chesnuts (optional)

In a blender, puree cashew, water, lemon juice, and salt until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate while continuing with the next step.
In a small sauce pan, boil baby spinach until just wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain into a wire mesh strainer if possible and then use kitchen scissors to snip spinach into small pieces. You could also cut the drained spinach up on a cutting board. Set aside until cool, about 5 minutes.
Stir cashew puree, spinach, and rest of ingredients together. Taste and add more salt if desired. Refrigerate an hour or so before serving if time allows, and serve with french bread or even Ruffles.




 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am so excited to have found your blog. I am close to the same boat as you, we do not have EOE here, but my oldest son has allergies to milk, soy, wheat, eggs, nuts/tree nuts, all poultry, beans and legumes. A lot of your recipes I can use (substituting beef instead of turkey) and am so excited! I have been cooking "David safe" here for close to 5 years now, but I'm always on the lookout for a good recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent! I'd love to hear/try some of your recipes!!!

      Delete