Monday, January 23, 2012

Homemade Ravioli - Gluten, Wheat, Egg, and Dairy Free

  Chris had a bad day today... he had to run a route he wasn't used to and his GPS died on him, he worked almost 12 hours and then when he got out to the truck it wouldn't start. He went looking for someone to help jump him but everyone else had left at a more reasonable time. Anyway, he finally got it started and came home. I am thankful that this was the night I chose to make pasta from scratch, because he said it was so good it really helped make his day a lot better <3

  I don't know why I got it in my mind that I should make ravioli or tortellini by hand but I searched high and low for recipes and ended up making a version of the recipe I found on adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com. I didn't have tapioca starch so I used potato starch, otherwise it's the same recipe. And it was FABULOUS! I won't say it was easy, but it wasn't hard, it was mostly just time consuming. It was nice though, I got into a little bit of a zone making the tortellini and it was actually pretty relaxing.

  Here's the recipe for the dough. You can make any type of pasta shape you want out of this, even noodles. I watched this video and learned how to make tortellini (a lot easier than it seems), and did a super simple ravioli by cutting a small square of dough, placing a tsp of filling in the center, then folding all the corners to meet in the middle like a little pyramid and pinching the seams. Everyone agreed the tortellini was better for catching the sauce, but of course they all tasted the same.

Wheat and Egg Free Pasta Dough

2/3 cup brown rice flour (plus more to flour your work surfaces)
1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca starch
1/2 tsp guar or xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup warm water
1 Tbs olive oil
*more water if needed

Combine flour, starch, gum, and salt in a small bowl. Pour into  bowl of stand mixer. Turn mixer onto the lowest setting and slowly add in the 1/4 cup warm water and olive oil. Gradually increase speed of mixer to medium and mix about 2 minutes. Evaluate the dough. If it is crumbly and not sticking together, slowly add 1 Tbs at a time of water. You want the dough to form a "ball" but not be sticky to the touch.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For any shape you decide on, you'll have to lightly flour a cutting board, lightly flour your rolling pin, and roll 1/4 of the dough at a time (keeping the rest in the fridge). Roll the dough very thin, about 1/8 of an inch or less.
Wet the edges with a wet finger ever so slightly before pressing together.
After filling, add prepared pasta to salted boiling water. When they float (about 3 minutes) they are done!

Turkey Pasta Filling

1/2 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbl dried oregeno
1 Tbl dried basil
2 Tbl Daiya Mozzarella Cheese Shreds (optional)
salt to taste
1 Tbl flax meal mixed with 3 Tbl water (called flaxgel)

Over medium heat, brown turkey, onion, and garlic. Cook until meat is done, onion is soft, and no pan juices remain in the skillet. Remove from heat and stir in herbs, cheese and salt. Mix in flaxgel.
Cool before using to fill pasta.

This made way more filling than I ended up using, so I mixed the rest in with the pasta sauce.


And there you have it. After the pasta is shaped, you can either cook it immediately, or freeze it until you are ready. Eitherway, just throw them in lightly salted boiling water. When they float, they are done.

10 comments:

  1. These look amazing, Thank you for posting, I just discoverd your sight, and are so thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting! I hope you try these, they were so much fun to make and tasted great! Please let me know how they turn out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pasta looks great! And dontcha love Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom? I so miss ravioli and would love to try to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Holly! I made this recipe before we also lost rice due to allergies, but I'd like to try to make this with corn/quinoa flour and see if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved this recipe...thanks so much for posting it! a (teenage) friend of the family has wanted to make ravioli her whole life, and i had never made homemade pasta. since my daughter has many food allergies, i just assumed it would be one of the many foods she wouldn't be able to have. we were thrilled with the results! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear it, Kim C! Thank you for sharing that it worked out for you guys! :)

      Delete
  6. Is it possible to make this without the gums and with white rice flour instead of brown rice flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! The rice flour you can sub one to one, and instead of the gum use 1/2 tsp ground flax seed mixed with just enough warm water to make a thin paste, let it sit for a few minutes and then mix it in when you add the oil and water! Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  7. Hi! How long does this last frozen? Do you boil them first? Just boil to reheat? Thank you#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassandra! I honestly have never tried to freeze them but my friend who makes her own pasta all the time says in a sealed bag they should last at least 6 months in the freezer and she says just boil them for 5-8 minutes (depending on how thick they are with filling) to cook from frozen. I would say as soon as they float they should be done!
      I hope that helps!

      Delete