Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Vegan and Wheat Free Fried Green Beans

  Our Farmer's Market didn't have a very big selection on Saturday, but they had some of the prettiest looking green beans I've seen in a long time. So I bought 3 lbs, which in hindsight might have been a tad excessive. Haha, anyway, so I wanted to find something to do with them other than roast them in olive oil and garlic, which is how we normally eat them. I remembered having fried green beans at Friday's waaay back when I got to eat whatever I wanted and they were so good. I found this recipe on FoodNetwork.com and the only thing I did to make it work for us was use Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour. The only beer we had around was Sam Adam's Winter Lager, but it worked perfectly, the flavor was wonderful! I made another bowl of vegan ranch dip to dunk these in and Chris said it literally tasted like it came from a restaurant! Score!

Fried Green Beans 

1 lb fresh green beans with ends trimmed
1 cup beer
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
peanut oil for frying

Preheat oil to 375. Whisk beer, flour, salt, and pepper together until smooth. Dip green beans in batter, allow excess to drain off and fry in batches until crispy and golden. Place on a paper towel lined cookie sheet to drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment