Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dairy Free/ Wheat Free Pizza Toast!

I know, I know, another pizza themed recipe. Since finding out Jack's newest allergies, we've been craving pizza and dying to find a good substitute. Also, I've been battling a virus this last week and just haven't felt up to anything complicated for dinner. I remember making 10 minute pizza toast as a little kid, so I thought I'd give it a go tonight. It came out well! I also made myself a tortilla BBQ pizza that was very good. This was really quick and could easily be made vegan (since this bread is free of animal products) or to suit most dietary needs. Use gluten free bread if avoiding gluten.

Dairy Free/ Wheat Free Pizza Toast

8 slices Food For Life White Rye Bread (or any bread that fits your needs)
4 Tbl Bertolli Classic Pizza sauce
6 Tbl Daiya Mozzarella Cheese Shreds
2 Tbl (or so) Hormel Turkey Pepperoni
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
Whatever other toppings you want!

Preheat oven to 350.
Place all pieces of bread on a cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Flip the pieces of bread over and spoon pizza sauce onto each. Top with Daiya Cheese, spinach, pepperoni, and anything else that sounds good (maybe onion!). Bake for another 5 minutes and check to see if cheese has melted. If they need more time, bake another five minutes or even broil them for 1-2 minutes. Be careful, Daiya can burn quickly!

My tortilla pizza involved:
1 medium yellow corn tortilla
1 Tbl Stubbs BBQ sauce
1 Tbl Daiya Mozzarella shreds
1 Tbl chopped grilled turkey breast
a handful of mandarin oranges
a pinch of italian seasoning

I baked it the exact same way, on the same cookie sheet as the toasts. It was AWESOME. The tortilla got stiff enough that I could hold the whole thing and eat it, but not so hard that it crunched or broke when I bit it. And near the end I folded it in half and had a pizza taco!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment