Saturday, April 14, 2012

Italian Turkey Sausage

  One of my "oh my gosh I haven't even thought about what to make for dinner and we need to eat in 20 minutes" meals is ground italian turkey sausage, corn pasta, and soy-free, dairy free pasta sauce. It's simple, everyone likes it, and as long as I have all the ingredients, it only takes 15 minutes to make. You can buy italian seasoned ground turkey sausage but it's more expensive and contains much more fat than plain ground turkey and has a lot of strange chemical sounding things in the ingredients list. I prefer seasoning plain lean ground turkey myself, and since I do this while I am browning the meat, it takes no extra time. Here is how you do it!

Ground Italian Turkey Sausage

1 lb 97% fat free ground turkey
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp  garlic powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbl fennel seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cayenne (for spicy sausage)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add meat and all seasonings to skillet, stir well to incorporate all seasonings and then cook until well browned.

You can make this ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or the freezer for several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment