Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dairy, Wheat, Gluten, and Egg Free BBQ Chicken Pizza

  There is this delicious chain in California (and they have one location in Washington, apprently) called Sharky's Woodfired Mexican Grill. It's fabulous! One of the things I used to love to eat there but I don't think they have anymore is the Naked BBQ Chicken Pizza. It was n a super thin crispy crust, almost more of a crisp tortilla than pizza crust. It had BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, onions, low fat mozzarella and I think a few shreds of cheddar, and various green things... fresh oregeno, bell pepper, I think scallions also. Can't remember exactly, but I know it was superb and I was totally craving it this afternoon so I decided to see what I could make here at home. The result was obviously not the same, but a really really good substitute that can stand on it's own right as a fabulous pizza! Even the kids loved it, despite the green things! This is going to be something we make often. Omg, so yummy!
  I can't believe I used to feel like we were so limited by these diet restrictions! What I realize now is that we were actually really limited in what we chose to eat before... I never would have dreamed of making many of the dishes I make now, with 'real' ingredients or otherwise. And it's amazing how, well, amazing food tastes when it's fresh, not processed and full of unpronounceable ingredients and beaver butt (see Buffalo Chicken Meatball recipe for clarification), and made with love at home. I love it!
Allergy Free BBQ Chicken Pizza

  • Bob's Red Mill gluten free pizza crust mix (calls for 2 Tbs flaxmeal, 6 Tbs plus 1 1/2 cup water, and 2 Tbs olive oil)
  • Daiya Mozzarella (3/4 cup) and Cheddar (1/4 cup) shreds
  • 2 cans grilled chicken breast, drained (you can use real grilled chicken if you have the time, but I was in a pinch)
  • 4 Tbs gluten free BBQ sauce, divided
  • 1 Tbs oregeno
  • 1 large red onion, sliced
  • 1 half green bell pepper, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make pizza crust dough according to package directions. Once raw dough is spread onto oiled cookie sheet, bake for 12-13 mins (the directions call for 7-9 but the extra time will help make it crispy crust!). Spread 3 Tbs BBQ sauce onto the crust. Sprinkle on onions and chicken. Then sprinkle on mozzarella and cheddar, bell pepper, and oregeno. Take remaining bbq sauce and drizzle it over toppings. Bake for 17 mins or until cheese is melted and pizza looks done.

 Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment